The Cotswold Water Park Trust has been running educational programmes for more than 10 years, offering both outside learning opportunities and roadshows which visit schools in the area. New for 2014 - Fossils Rock roadshow, with plenty of real fossils giving'wow factor' for your class
New for Autumn 2014!
An interactive fossil roadshow for KS1 and KS2 .......millions of years in the making. We bring the past to life, and to your school with Fossils Rock.
If you are looking for an exciting and informative introduction to the new curriculum topic Fossils, then why not book Fossils Rock roadshow today.
Programme of study:
Introduction - what is a fossil?
How fossils are made - hands on activity
Take the 'Fossil or False' challenge
Go on a 'Fossil Hunt' for real fossils
Make your own fossil
Hear the ( true) story of Emily and Colossal Fossil
Evolution option for Year 5/6
CD with follow up resources, activity ideas and links
The half day roadshow can take place in your classroom or school hall with minimum disruption - we just need an interactive whiteboard, a table, some floor space and a sink. We bring all equipment for the activities, but do ask if there can be at least two adults helping during the session.
Cost: £90 half a day / one class or £150 whole day / two classes
Download Fossils Rock leaflet (pdf 5mb)
The Cotswold Water Park is one of the most fossil rich areas of the UK, due to the extensive extraction of sand and gravel over the past fifty years - many amazing finds have been made, including the woolly mammoth skull, tusks and teeth, plus incredible ammonites and more. Children will get to handle a whole range of real fossils, with a few 'wow factor' surprises included too!
Some feedback from September 2014
" A fantastic session, which kept the whole class engaged from start to finish"
"A great opportunity for the children to see and handle a wide range of fossils."
"My class learnt so much in a short space of time. They loved the session and were all able to take home a memento of the day! Thank you for a fun and informative session!"
Year 3 and 4 teachers, Meadowside Primary School, Quedgeley, Gloucester
To find out more about the Fossils Rock roadshow, please call Jill Bewley, Communication and Events Manager for the CWP Trust on 01793 752413.
Come and learn in the great outdoors!
The Cotswold Water Park is a great place to introduce children to the natural world, with such a wide variety of species all around. The lakes, rivers and meadows are home to thousands of dragonflies, fish, water birds, plants and insects which makes it a very special place to visit during the summer term.
The CWP Trust provides a programme of outdoor environmental education sessions, for KS1, KS2 and community groups such as Rainbows, Brownies and Beaver Cubs.
The varied and exciting sessions are designed to complement the National Curriculum, whilst providing an opportunity to learn hands - on about many of the usual favourites such as minibeasts and plants, along with some more unusual topics such as beavers and bats.
All staff and volunteers are fully trained and CRB checked.
Next to Nature....
a flexible, stimulating outdoor programme for KS1 and KS2 delivered at one of the most stunning locations within the Cotswold Water Park. Some of the topics we cover are listed below, but we can do so much more - just let us know what you require.
- Habitats, including pond dipping (comparison of water / dark / light places)
- Life cycles
- Adaptation and Movement
Plants / Trees
- Plant parts and uses
- Helping plants grow well
- Comparisons and measuring
- Plants in our lives
- Natural shapes and patterns
- Using natural materials, ie willow weaving, bark sculptures
- Land Art, ie Andy Goldsworthy
Cost: £5.50 per child / no charge for adults
If you would like to be sent details or would just like to chat about your requirements please call Jill Bewley at the CWP Trust on 01793 752413 or send an email to email@example.com
"Gravel is Great" - a KS2 rocky roadshow which visits your school!
This exciting and innovative roadshow called Gravel is Great brings the story of the Cotswold Water Park into local primary schools, using DVD, interactive models of gravel pits and plenty of opportunity for hands on creativity, thought and debate.
This interactive roadshow offers a very flexible approach for KS2 and can cover:
- Science - Materials and their Properties / Living things
- Geography - Environmental change / Sustainable development / Understanding of places
- History - Local history / Investigation / Interpretation / Romans / Anglo Saxons / Fossils
- DT - Planning and developing ideas / Understanding processes and materials
- English - Communicating, group discussions
- plus ECM, PSHE, Creative Curriculum and Enrichment Enhancement
The Gravel is Great roadshow has now been delivered to over 1000 KS2 pupils – see their reaction:
- "I never knew that something like gravel could be so interesting"
- "This was the best lesson ever"
- "It was great fun as the models were really realistic and the children could make their own choices "
The children work in groups of three or four, and take 'ownership' of their unique gravel pit. The sessions are very flexible, but generally follow this format which last up to three hours:
- Introductory DVD
- Study of aerial images of the Cotswold Water Park from present day and 1950s
- Excavation of eight mini gravel pits, including sorting gravel and any unusual 'finds'!
- Identification and dating of 'finds', from mini 'Coke bottles' to real ammonites
- Restoration of gravel pits to watersports centres, nature reserves, campsites etc to create a mini Cotswold Water Park
- Plenary discussion about individual lakes, decisions made, and relating it to real life situations.
Cost for half day session ( ie one class) £100 / whole day (two classes) £150
Please contact Jill Bewley, Communication and Events Manager on 01793 752413 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org